Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Long-overdue Update!

Wow, it has been far, FAR too long since I posted! On Friday the 13th I went to the London Zoo with my friend Tom. It was really good to see him! We had fun geeking out over strange animals (i.e. marveling over naked mole rats and Bactrian camels). When we were looking at the Black Mamba in the reptile place, Jesse called and said that he and his girlfriend Jo were in London and invited Tom and I to come to dinner with them. So, we stayed at the zoo until it was closing, then went and met up with Jesse and Jo and walked to the Drunken Monkey. Lots of yummy Chinese food and a whiskey sour later, I walked back to the train station and said goodbye. They went out to a club or a pub that night, I believe. Anyway, it was a really fun day! That weekend, I worked at Care UK again. The people there are cool, so working is okay, but there definitely comes a point during the day when I just want to do something else. Answering phones for 8 hours is a tad boring. After working I had a week full of more sleep, TV, WoW, and job searching, as well as movies and walks when Jon’s home.

This last Friday I called up Adecco (the temp agency I’m signed with) to see if they had any work for me this weekend, and unfortunately they didn’t. There was an up side, though! Jon didn’t have to work this weekend either, so we got to hang out for the weekend. We spent the weekend as we spend most of our time, generally lazing about! On Sunday we heard what sounded like clapping or cheering outside, so we took a walk to the park, where there was some kind of marching competition going on. We only stayed for one group (it was the last group), and they were a drum and bugle corp. They had a large percussion section, around 30-ish people playing trumpet-like instruments in various sizes, and about 15 or so flag people (you know, the ones that dance around and spin huge flags on poles). The weird thing about the group we watched (as well as the group before them, we saw them leaving the field) was that the drum section wasn’t using marching equipment. They had to push timpani, mallet instruments (like bells and vibes), bass drums and other wheeled percussion designed for indoor use, onto a grass field. So basically, in the drum and bugle corp., the bugles and flag people were out on the field marching and flagging, while the drums chilled on the sidelines. Weirdness, that’s all I can say.

Yesterday Tom came down to Colchester to hang out for a bit. We listened to music and went on a walk, discussing the largest and smallest animals in the world, placing extra emphasis on contemplating the immensity of a blue whale. When Jon got home, we went out to Blockbuster to rent a DVD, since lovefilm (like netflix) hadn’t sent a new one yet. We rented Cloverfield, because Jon wanted to and I agreed to it. If you haven’t seen the movie, THANK GOD. I spent most of the movie expecting to be scared, and never actually getting there. I have no qualms with not being scared, but expecting to be the whole movie was a tad exhausting. I think Jon’s comment was something along the lines of, “I can’t believe how bad that film was.” To which I replied, “I can.” T’was a good laugh. Anyway, that’s about it for now!

Tchau!

No comments: