Friday, June 27, 2008

Castles and Fantasy Worlds

Right, so I’m going to make an attempt to post more often. Really, I am! Yesterday, Jon had the day off, so we decided we ought to do something interesting. We spent the morning lazing about, as usual, but then in the afternoon we went to the castle. Yes, Colchester has a castle. It’s actually the oldest recorded town in England, dating back to Roman times. The castle nowadays is a museum with a really pretty garden outside it. There are tons of roses outside the entrance. Various colors all labeled with their name. Kind of like flower farms, only these weren’t for sale. On to the museumy bits!

When I was in London last fall, I learned about Boudica. She was the queen of the Iceni, a tribe of Britons in East Anglia (where I live). The Romans had an arrangement with the Iceni’s king that allowed the large tribe to remain mostly independent. When the king died, however, the Romans went back on virtually all of the deals they had made with the Iceni. To make things worse, they flogged Boudica and raped her daughters. The Iceni revolted, led by Boudica, and another, much less powerful tribe of Britons joined them. The Romans didn’t make any preparations for an attack, because they were sure that the legions would come to their rescue. Apparently the Iceni utterly destroyed the Romans in Colchester, and demolished the large temple that the people were barricaded in. Like I said, I learned about Boudica when I was in London. There is a large statue of her in the city, standing on a large chariot-type thing drawn by either 2 or 4 horses (I don’t remember which) with one hand on the reigns, and one hand in the air. She truly looks like a war queen. What I hadn’t realized when I first heard the story, was that Colchester was where Boudica’s revenge took place. Interesting stuff.

Anyway, after the castle, we went to see the new Chronicles of Narnia movie, which just came out yesterday here (I have no clue when it came out/will come out in the States). It was pretty much the same quality as the first one was. Entertaining for sure, but it was clearly no Momento (although it’s probably unfair of me to constantly compare movies to one that amazing). Today I’ll take an application to a restaurant near where I live, call Adecco and see if they have any work for me this weekend, and do my reading for my class this summer. I truly live an exciting life. : P

Tchau!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear England is shaping up to be fun...one question though - why do you always sign off with "Tchau" ?
Anyway, gesundheit.


-Eric

Rachel said...

Haha, brother. "Tchau" is how you spell "ciao" in Portuguese.