Monday, May 12, 2008

Wedding-ness! (written yesterday)



At the time I’m writing this, I’m sitting in a cabin on the beach in Carmel. My family went off to sightsee and generally enjoy themselves, while I am supposedly here doing homework. It’s not that I haven’t tried! But seriously, you try sitting on a couch in living room with French doors overlooking the beach and getting anything done! Then perhaps you won’t think I’m quite as lazy. Then again, I AM lazy…

The point is, even when I do manage to get my eyes to focus onto the screen of my computer, I can still HEAR the sounds of the waves crashing against the beach. If it was sunny today, this place would be paradise. Note to self: in the future, finish papers and studying before going to paradise.

Besides trying not to look and listen to the ocean, I also must contend with my wandering mind. I can’t stop thinking about how beautiful the wedding was yesterday. Patrice and John got married, woot! Patrice’s mom Beth and my mom have been great friends since they were 13 years old, so they feel like family to us. They’re more than just family friends. When Beth met Chris’s fiancé Margo yesterday, she hugged her and said, “Welcome to the family. When you join, you get all of us.” Anyway, I’ve known Patrice my whole life, and it’s really great to see her with someone who fits her so perfectly. I also can’t stop thinking about how drunk I was. D’oh! I really need to learn to drink slower…or just less. Didn’t do anything regrettable though, so all is well! I’m definitely grateful to mi hermano Eric for dumping water down my throat, though.

Oh man, last night Eric and I were chatting with one of the photographers while waiting in line to get pasta (which was freakin delish) and after she and I briefly discussed our relative vegetarianisms, the subject of the swordfish they were serving inside came up. Eric joked, “You don’t even have to feel guilty about eating swordfish, Rachel, because if you didn’t eat it, it would just go attack another fish!” I played along saying, “Yeah, it would just stab you with its sword!” and made some awkward poking gestures, because…you know…I roll like that. “It’s a very aggressive fish!” adds my brother. At this point, the woman photographer points back and forth between Eric and I and asks, “Are you two brother and sister?” We thought this was hilarious, and started reliving jokes from earlier about being each other’s date. “I knew I should have bought you that corsage!” lolz, mi hermano, lolz.

So all in all it was a fun night, but I’m ready to go home. I’m ready to turn in this paper, take this final, and be DONE. ‘Twill be amazing. I’ll have like 3 days to get things figured out, a day of work, and then will be leaving Walla Walla on the 19th! Eee!

Things I’m looking forward to in England:

-Hearing more people cuss on the streets: there’s nowhere near enough swearing in this country.

-The tube: I know, call me crazy, but I actually miss my 40 min morning commute. I won’t be staying in London, but taking the tube a couple times on that first day will be nice.

-Meeting Jon in person

-Pubs: I like them. The end.

-Happy Whiners: British people crack me up. They love to complain. I’m serious, they actually enjoy complaining. Professor Julian would constantly complain about British everything, but he’d do it with the biggest grin on his face. Yay Brits!

-Making it on my own: living entirely off of what I make myself for the first time. Yes, I’ll be broke, but it’ll be my broke-ness, and no one elses!

Things I’m not looking forward to:

-Looking for a job: And the uncertainty that comes with moving to a foreign country without one.

-Living with someone messier than I am: He’s lucky he’s so cute and sweet, let me tell ya.

-Having almost no close friends around: no explanation needed methinks.

-Being broke: Why is everything so expensive in England dag nabbit?!

I’m sure these lists will grow over time, but this will have to do for now. Side note: Why is it that I can write so much about randomness, but when it comes to writing a paper I just sit and stare at my computer screen? Oh right, ADD. Damn. Well I suppose I should get back to attempting to do real work. Hopefully I can upload this tonight, but if not, tomorrow should do. Tchau!

No comments: